to sepia or not to sepia?

here is a not so great photo(in color) of the sunset at Key West…I’ve done it in black & white then tried sepia, which I de-saturated…not sure if I did the desaturation correctly as it looks very much like grey scale, or is this the way it is supposed to look?
this is the grey scale…
sailboat.kw.b.and.w.2013this is sepia, without desaturation…I went too far on the first sepia I did…wasn’t sure what to do with it?Β  this one is rather interesting…a warmer tone in comparison….
sailboat.kw.sepia.2013and this is sepia, completely desaturated…
sailboat.kw.desaturation.sepia.2013

Advertisements

17 responses

1. I like the greyscale, It still shows the sun πŸ™‚

May 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm

• yes, it is more prominent in the grey scale I agree, I was doing a bit of experimentation and went a bit overboard. πŸ™‚ I’ve added another sepia photo with out desaturation and it isn’t too bad…

May 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

• It has that light gentle feeling to it doesn’t it? πŸ™‚

May 10, 2013 at 12:21 am

2. I would have de-saturated a bit less.. But hey, its all about personal preference at the end of the day πŸ™‚
    (By the way, you have a typo in the title which at first glance read as sepsis πŸ˜€ )

May 10, 2013 at 12:00 am

• lol…first thank you for pointing out the typo…sometimes my fingers get away from me! re the sepia, I wasn’t sure how far to go so did it completely πŸ™‚ obviously it didn’t do much other than make it look like a grey scale shot…I redid it in sepia and I don’t mind it…the original color photo wasn’t great so maybe that is why I actually didn’t have to adjust the sepia? thanks for the tips… πŸ™‚ will keep experimenting…

May 10, 2013 at 12:14 am

• Indeed, the experiments are almost as much fun as the resuts πŸ˜€
        Try google images for this..
        selenium toning

May 10, 2013 at 12:17 am

• thanks will do…

May 10, 2013 at 12:20 am

• Oh well, time to work…

May 10, 2013 at 12:20 am

3. Hanno Phenn

Use the greyscale on this one . The sepia is a bit tricky I rarely use it just on images that are really appropriate for the effect .It is a question of taste.

May 10, 2013 at 3:26 am

• Yes Hanno, I agree…sepia isn’t something I’ve used before but thought I’d give it a try…will experiment again as it is learning something new is always a good thing.

May 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm

• Hanno Phenn

Do that .May I suggest to try Sepia on Portraits maybe you like it but just try whatever you like .

May 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

• thank you for the suggestion…you know I’ve never tried portraits…something to consider… πŸ™‚

May 10, 2013 at 11:39 pm

4. When I saw the post in the reader i thought sepia would work great, but in comparing the black and white and the sepia the black and white is the stronger image. Possibly a weaker sepia tone would have worked. Nice shot though, with the boat silhouetted against the low hanging sun.

May 10, 2013 at 7:26 am

• thank you Ben…nice of you to say! this is my first experimentation with sepia…I desaturated it far too much, the first tine, so the middle photo is sepia on its own…I’ve never really like the sepia tone, but I find it isn’t terrible with this photo…I do like the photo but in the original the color is awful which is why I was experimenting with it… πŸ™‚

May 10, 2013 at 11:44 pm

5. Beautiful

May 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

May 10, 2013 at 11:40 pm

6. Heather, I like all three. I love how you captured the sun behind the sails and the bird in the corner – lovely composition!

Blessings ~ Wendy